The fault in our stars

As many of you might be already aware, the title of this post is actually the title of a bestseller book by John Green, which is also adapted as a feature film. I got a chance to read this book during the last week (sincere thanks to Shweta for lending it to me). I totally loved it. Special thanks to Gaurav and Shweta (yeah, the same girl who lent me the book) for recommending it to me. And yes, it did make me cry, as you guys were claiming.



Although the IMDb list of the top 10 movies of 2014 (the movie came in 2014, but the book was published in 2012) ranks the 'movie' version of this book on the 10th spot, I believe that the book is a lot more than the movie. There are times which make you smile, and then there are times which definitely make you cry. "You laugh, you cry, and then you come back for more", said Markus Zusak (author of The Book Thief) about this book. In this book, the author brilliantly explores the funny, thrilling and tragic business of being alive and in love.

Quoting Wikipedia,
The story is narrated by a 16 year old cancer patient named Hazel Grace Lancaster, who is forced by her parents to attend a support group where she subsequently meets and falls in love with the 17 year old Augustus Waters.

Also, as a piece of information, the title of the book is inspired by Julius Caesar (a play by Shakespeare). In Act 1, Scene 2 of the play, Cassius says to Brutus, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves, that we are underlings." Same is also used in the book.

Well, I want you to spend time reading the book. Hence, strictly NO spoiler alerts this time. It will be worth it, I assure you.

In the rest of the post, I am going to list down my favorite quotes (in no specific order or ranking) from the book. Sit back and enjoy the quotes and their neck-deep metaphorical meanings. ;)

Also, all the quotes below are the copyright property of the author, I am republishing them because I liked them. So, even if I don't mention his name after every quote, they still belong to John, no matter what.

That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt.

The world is not a wish-granting factory.

You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.

What a slut time is. She screws everybody.

As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.

That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.

All your attempts to save yourself from me will fail.

Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.

The marks humans leave are too often scars.

Without pain, how could we know joy?

I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.

I'm like a grenade, Mom, and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?

You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.

I'm on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.

It is the nature of stars to cross.

The world wasn't made for us, we were made for the world.

I really thought she was going to die before I could tell her that I was going to die, too.

Omnia Cellula e Cellula.

No matter how hard you kick, no matter how high you get, you can't go all the way round.

Did you read this book? If not, do it now. Buy it from Amazon US, Amazon India or Flipkart.

Did I miss any other interesting quote? Remind me via the comments. And yes, happy reading. :)

2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.